As bills are introduced before the Manitoba Legislature, they are made available on the Legislative Assembly website. The full text of each bill, plus its status before the Legislature, can be accessed from this website. The website also lists information about legislative committees, including how to make a presentation, and notice of upcoming meetings.
The following lists include bills that are currently before the legislature, or which were recently passed, along with brief descriptions of each. You can find government news releases relating to many of these bills under News From Broadway.
Before the Legislature
- Bill 9, The Advocate for Children and Youth Act, would expand the mandate of the Office of the Children’s Advocate.
- Bill 25, The Cannabis Harm Prevention Act, focuses on harm reduction and public safety as part of its ongoing preparation for federal legalization of marijuana.
- Bill 27, The Elections Amendment Act, would create a permanent and regularly updated database of eligible voters for all future provincial elections.
- Bill 8, The Protecting Children (Information Sharing) Act, strengthens the commitment to the well-being, safety, security and health of children.
- Bill 17, The Manitoba Teachers' Society Act, would give the Manitoba Teachers' Society greater control over its governance and operations.
- Bill 203, The Public Schools Amendment Act (Pedestrian Safety at New Schools), would make traffic safety analysis a mandatory part of the planning process for new schools. The analysis would require the assessment and implementation of necessary traffic control measures before a new school could open.
- Bill 9, The Teachers' Society Amendment Act, strengthens the internal discipline process of the Manitoba Teachers' Society for teachers.
- Bill 12, The Community Schools Act, recognizes and facilitates the implementation of the community school philosophy and model, and establishes a community schools unit within the Department of Education.
- Bill 14, The Education Administration Amendment and Public Schools Amendment Act (Parent Groups for Schools), amends The Education Administration Act to recognize the Manitoba Association of Parent Councils as the representative of school-based parent groups in schools outside and amends The Public Schools Act to require a principal to consult with the school's parent advisory council or school committee when preparing the annual plan for the school.
- Bill 18, The Public Schools Amendment Act (Safe and Inclusive Schools), amends The Public Schools Act in the areas of bullying and respect for human diversity.
Presentation on Bill 18