Division Dispatches can be found on the Manitoba School Boards Association's YouTube channel. These short videos provide fast and easy tips, 'how-to' guides, news items and more. Tune in at board meetings or as part of planned professional development for your board or administration. As a quick reference, the start of an open discussion or part of your learning goals for trustees, this resource can be accessed at any time. Contact Janis Arnold, Board Development Consultant for more information.
Around the Table
"Around the Table" is a five-part series on good governance around the board table. These short videos are just some of the resources available under the E2G banner. Many problems that may arise at a board table can be handled using sound principles and practices of good governance.
- Around the Table: Unintentional Undermining
- Around the Table: Lines of Authority
- Around the Table: Staying on Point
- Around the Table: Role Clarity
- Around the Table: Pulling in the Same Direction
Effective & Efficient School Board Governance (E2G)
In 2015, the provincial executive identified the development of a standards framework for effective school board governance as a core priority in the area of excellence in member services.
- E2G - An Introduction
- E2G - Governing at the Right Level
- E2G - Policy Development & Review
- E2G - SMART Goals (Resources: Exercise)
- E2G - Community Friendly School Boards (Resources: Constituency Analysis Grid)
- E2G - They are ALL Part of the Division
- E2G - Board Policy Manual
- E2G - Strategic Plan (Part 1)
- E2G - Operations Plan (Part 2) (Resources: Plan Template | Template 2)
- E2G - Code of Conduct (Resources: Code of Conduct Template | Module 3 Climate & Culture)
School board meetings are governed by a mix of the legal obligations found in The Public Schools Act, decisions boards made when they adopted their own procedural by-laws, and the requirements of their parliamentary authority (such as Robert’s Rules of Order). The Division Dispatches in the Practical Procedure series explore some of the most frequently asked questions about meeting procedure, questions that often arise as a result of conflicts between and among these various sources.
- Revisiting a Decision
- Suspending a Debate | Three Subsidiary Motions that Suspend Debate (Text)
- Committee of the Whole - In Camera or In Public? (Text)
- To Abstain or Not to Abstain (Text)
High Functioning Boards
What are the characteristics of a high functioning board? Commonly accepted purpose and roles, an effective and efficient structure, ensuring accountability and providing community leadership are just some of the skills. Take the 10-point quiz to find out how your board stacks up, then delve a bit deeper with the supporting videos in this series and work to become the best you can be.
- High-Functioning Board - Quiz (Resources: Quiz)
- Goals & Teamwork
- Board Dynamics
The association has developed additional videos that may be of interest to individual trustees, member boards, and administrators.