TADD: THE FACTS
FACTS ABOUT DRINKING
(1) Drinking coffee after alcohol consumption
may make you feel more awake, but you’re NO LESS IMPAIRED.
(2) A bottle of beer 355 ML = a shot 45 ML = A
glass of wine 150 ML
(3) Designate a Driver BEFORE the Party
(4) Alcohol actually increases your
susceptibility to cold and hypothermia.
(5) Alcohol slows your reaction time …STAY
(6) Over half of the snowmobile fatalities in
Manitoba involved alcohol!
(7) Eating while drinking slows the absorption
of alcohol; IT DOES NOT stop the process of intoxication.
(8) Only time will overcome the effects of
alcohol. Fresh air and dancing DO NOT change the rate at which
alcohol is metabolized by the liver.
(9) In general, 40% of all fatalities, 20% of
all injuries and 10% of all vehicle and property damage
resulting from motor vehicle crashes in Manitoba are found to
be ALCOHOL RELATED!
IMPAIRED DRIVING FACTS
(1) On average, 4.5 Canadians are killed and
over 125 Canadians are injured DAILY in alcohol related
crashes. (Transport Canada)
(2) Direct and indirect costs of alcohol
related crashes are estimated to be $7.52 billion annually.
(Research Report – Addiction (1998) 93(7) 991-1006)
(3) 70,587 charges of impaired driving were
made in 1998. (Canadian Centre for Justice
(4) Approximately 40% of all traffic
fatalities are alcohol related. (Traffic Injury Research
(5) The Traffic Injury Foundation estimates
there are 4.5 million impaired drivers on Canada’s roads
(6) Impaired driving is the single leading
criminal cause of death in Canada.
© Copyright MAST 2004-08 The Manitoba Association of School Trustees. All
Please send comments to: TADD